1. Information about us
The Sentencing Academy is a charitable incorporated organisation which generates and disseminates information about all aspects of sentencing. A key focus is upon effective sentencing. Working with experts across the field, we conduct original research and publish research reviews with a view to informing courts, the Government, general public and policy makers about the most effective and principled sentencing options in England and Wales.
Contact details are: FAO Director of Operations at Info@sentencingacademy.org.uk. Postal address is Bentham House, 4-8 Endsleigh Gardens, London WC1H 0EG
Register charity no: 1183958
Completion date of privacy notice: 11 January 2023
2. What does this Notice cover?
This notice covers what types of information we collect about you, when, why and how we will go about this along with the circumstances when we may share this information with another party. It also details how we will keep your information safe and secure, with the reassurance that we will never sell your personal data on.
3. What is “personal data?”
This is information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual. An identifiable person is someone who can be identified directly, or indirectly by one or more factors specific to them.
4. Types of personal information we collect
We currently collect and process the following information:
· Name, address, contact details which may include your email address, telephone number
· Job title and organisation
· Demographic information such as your postcode
· Other information relevant to surveys or as part of a recruitment process
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you with your consent for one of the following reasons:
· Subscription to our newsletter
· Comment or feedback on a report, piece of research
· Responding to a survey on our website or social media
· Registering to attend an event
· Collaboration or commissioning opportunity for research
· Share information
5. How do we use your personal data and what is the legal basis?
By law we need to demonstrate that we have a purpose for collecting and using personal data. We require this information to understand your needs and deliver a better service aligned to them. Our purpose is to:
· Respond to your request to access our service or to attend an event
· Process feedback to a survey/report to inform and improve our work
· Secure funding/commissioning or collaboration opportunities
· Share promotional information about events, new publications, and reports that we think you may find interesting using the email address that you provided
· Internal record keeping
· We may from time to time contact you for market research purposes
· Use your information to develop and improve our website or service delivery according to your interests and requirements
· Consider the information you have supplied and suitability in response to a job or trustee vacancy as part of a recruitment process.
Your information may be shared with another researcher to improve our service delivery, but this will only be done with your consent.
Under the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR) the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information is:
a) Your consent. You are able to remove your consent at any time. You can do this by contacting the Operations Director on: Info@sentencingacademy.org.uk.
b) Contractual obligation e.g. stipulations in a funding contract
c) Legal obligation e.g. safe delivery of our services
d) Legitimate interest e.g. we will retain job applicants personal details if we feel they might be suitable for a future position.
6. How long will we keep your personal data?
We will only retain your information for as long as the purpose of the processing is not fulfilled e.g. registration details for an event are deleted following delivery of the event and evaluation. We will review your details on our database every 18 months to ensure that your consent to use your information is still valid. A legal/contractual requirement may stipulate a specific length of time that your information may need to be retained and we will always share this with you when we collect the data from you.
Personal data once consent is withdrawn or the retention period has expired will be destroyed and permanently deleted from our database.
7. Will we share your personal data?
Your data will not be shared, sold, or leased to a third party without your consent unless we are required by law to do so. We may share your data with those that perform services for us as below and will require them to take appropriate steps to protect your personal data and only to use it for the above specific purposes:
· Website – maintenance and hosting by Digital Edge Online Solutions Limited provided by Wix.com
· Facebook – social networking
· Instagram – social networking
· Twitter – social networking
· LinkedIn – social networking
The above are also data controllers where you will be subject to their privacy notice conditions. We do not have control over how other websites perhaps linked in our website will hold and protect your information and would advise that you refer to their privacy notice conditions.
Cookies are small files of information that are sent from our website to your browser to help us recognize you when you return. Cookies will help you use our website more effectively and provides us with useful information on how our site is used so we can continuously improve what we offer.
For further information about cookies and how to remove from your browser please see the Information Advertising Bureau at www.allaboutcookies.org
9. Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
· Right of access – you have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information
· Right to rectification – you have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
· Right to erasure – you have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
· Right to restriction of processing – you have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances
· Right to object to processing – you have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
· Right to data portability – you have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
10. How to complain or make a request
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, or wish to make a request please contact us: FAO Director of Operations at Info@sentencingacademy.org.uk. Postal address is Bentham House, 4-8 Endsleigh Gardens, London WC1H 0EG
Register charity no: 1183958
You can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you are unhappy with how we have used your data at:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113 ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk